The word "gospel" means "good news." But it presupposes bad news. The bad news is that all people, including you, are sinners. That is, we have all rebelled against God, our Creator, by violating His holy law (summarized in the Ten Commandments) in our thoughts, words, and deeds. Therefore, on our own we all stand condemned by God to an eternity in hell, separated forever from His mercy and goodness because of our sins.
But the good news is that because of His great and undeserved love, God sent forth His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to become a real human being. Jesus the God-man lived a perfectly righteous life and then died as a sacrificial substitute for our sins on a Roman cross. After three days, Jesus was raised from the dead. Forty days after His resurrection, Jesus ascended bodily into heaven where He is now ruling and reigning until He comes again to judge the world. All who give up their rebellion against God and put their trust in Jesus for their salvation receive a full pardon and the gift of eternal life. The gospel is both the way to become a Christian and the way to live as a Christian.
- Click here for "Christianity Explored," a great website for introducing Christianity.
- Click here for the "2 Ways to Live" gospel presentation.
- Click here for a video of Pastor Mark Dever explaining the gospel.
- Click here for a video of Todd Friel explaining the gospel to a guy on a train.
- Click here for "The Gospel in 6 Minutes" by Pastor John Piper.
- Click here for a rap version of the gospel by Trip Lee.
- Click here for a more detailed explanation of the Christian gospel by Dr. D.A. Carson.